Food and Agriculture in Africa – TDA2010

Howdy and welcome to Paul’s site.  The Tour d’Afrique ride (TDA2010) begins in January.  Check back then for updates.

Paul will be teaching a University of Minnesota Spring 2010 class “Food and Agriculture from Cairo to Cape Town at 10mph”  (CFAN3840, CFAN3000H & AGRO5999).  He will be in the classroom until early March, at which time he will join the TDA2010 in Nairobi, Kenya and continue on with them until arriving in Cape Town, South Africa in mid-May.

Beginning with the TDA2010 ride in mid-January 2010, Paul will be providing audio-blogs related to the food, agriculture, and agroecosystems the riders are experiencing as they traverse the African continent .

Read about the TDA2009 experiences by clicking on the country of interest or the monthly archives to the right…  If you get lost, you can always get home by clicking on the title at the top.

Enjoy.

1. Lloyd Strong says:

Hi Paul, glad to see that you are going to finish the tour! i wish you the best of luck. Not sure how many patches you are going to bring, but I’d double it. The thorns are really bad in the second half. I got onto the SR for May of this year and will use the bike that I had finished the TDA on, at the moment it’s going thru a major up grade of parts. Anyhow enjoy the fun!

Lloyd

2. Lloyd Strong says:

Lloyd

3. Robert Bauer says:

Paul, I ran across an article in Popular Mechanics about a bucket-sized fuel cell that is being deployed in Africa and I immediately thought of your upcoming bike tour. The cell uses graphite-cloth anode, a chicken-wire cathode, manure-rich mud for fuel, a layer of sand to act as an ion barrier and salt water as an electrolyte. You can read about it at

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4332914.html

Hope this interests you and your class. Best of luck on your trip!

4. Professor Paul: Great to hear of your adventures from Cairo to Cape Town. Gotta be tough to bicycle all that way. Wish I could take the same roads, except riding with the bus. Hope you will take video clips and post online. Habari ngani; Pitani bwino.